Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

LMUD Presents: This Day in Susanville History – July 7, 1952

Tuesday, July 7th, 2020

Peter Lassen’s monument in a 1930’s photo

Lassen Site Deed Signed
July 7, 1952

Property bearing the peter Lassen monument has been deeded by Miss Hannah Hulsman to the Susanville parlor of the Native Daughters of the Golden West.

The scenic ground on which is the grave of one of California’s foremost pioneers as a favorite attraction in this area and has been a [art of the Hulsman ranch.

In presenting the deed Miss Hulsman stated she wanted to have the Native Daughters to have the property because of their interest and work in the preservation of California’s historic landmarks.

Miss Hulman’s gift represents the area enclosed by a fence around the monument, and consists of approximately an acre of land, according to Mrs. Georgia B. Jensen, recording secretary of the Susanville parlor.

Mrs. Jensen state that the Native Daughters’ first project on the property will be to further clean and beautiful the area, and to establish a picnic area.

The monument, located about six miles south of Susanville on the Richmond road, stands at the foot of Diamond Mountain. Lassen frequently commented on the scenic beauty of the area, and following his death in 1859, at which time he was buried near Black Rock in Stone Cole Valley, his grave was moved to its present location.

When the first memorial erected by a Masonic organization to honor the famous settler, started to deteriorate, a second one was constructed and dedicated in 1917. The Masons have a particular affection for the memory of Peter Lassen because he started the first Masonic Lodge in California.

Posted by on . Filed under This Day in History. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

>Email us News
115 S. Roop Susanville, CA
530.257.7138