Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Lassen County Schools Offering Free and Discount Meals

Wednesday, September 23rd, 2020

All Lassen County schools have applications for parents to apply for free and reduced-price meals for children served under the National School Lunch Program and/or School Breakfast Programs.

The household size and income criteria identified below will be used to determine eligibility for free and reduced-price benefits. Children from households whose income is at or below the levels shown are eligible for free or reduced-price meals. Children who receive Food Stamps (FS), California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs), or receive benefits from the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) are automatically eligible for free meals regardless of the income of the household in which they reside.

Eligibility for a foster child is based on a separate application and solely on the amount of the child’s “personal use income.” Please contact school officials for an application and/or to review specific policies.


(Effective from July 1, 2020 through June 30, 2021)

Participants from households with incomes at or below the following levels may be eligible for free or reduced-price meals or free milk.

Click on the table for a larger version


Application forms are being distributed to all households with a letter informing them of the availability of free and reduced-price meals for enrolled children. Applications are also available at the principal’s office in each school. To apply for free or reduced price meals, households must complete the application and return it to the school. Applications may be submitted at any time during the school year. The information households provide on the application will be used for the purpose of determining eligibility and verification of data. Applications may be verified at any time during the school year by school or other program officials.

For school officials to determine eligibility for free and reduced priced benefits, households receiving food stamps, CalWORKs, or FDPIR benefits only have to list their child’s name and food stamp, CalWORKs, or FDPIR case number and an adult household member must sign the application. Households that do not list a food stamp, CalWORKs, or FDPIR case number must list the names of all household members, the amount and source of the income received by each household member, and the social security number of the adult household member who signs the application. If the household member does not have a social security number, the household member must indicate that a social security number is not available. The application must be signed by an adult household member.

Under the provisions of the free and reduced price policy, the determining official(s), as designated by the School Food Authority (SFA), shall review applications and determine eligibility. Parents or guardians dissatisfied with the ruling of the official may discuss the decision with the determining official on an informal basis. Parents wishing to make a formal appeal for a hearing on the decision may make a request either orally or in writing to the SFA’s hearing official. For specific information as to the name of the determining official and/or hearing official for a specific school or the district, parents or guardians should contact the school(s) their child(ren) attend(s).

Households that list CalFresh (formerly Food Stamps), CalWORKs, or FDPIR case number must report when the household no longer receives these benefits. Other households approved for benefits based on income information must report increases in household income of over $50 per month or $600 per year and decreases in household size. Also, if a household member becomes unemployed or if the household size increases, the household should contact the school. Such changes may make the children of the household eligible for benefits if the household’s income falls at or below the levels shown in the chart.

The U. S. Department of Agriculture prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual’s income derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)

If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442, or email at program.intake@usda.gov.

Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339 or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish).

USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

Posted by on . Filed under Announcements, Public Notices. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

>Email us News
115 S. Roop Susanville, CA