Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

LMUD Presents: This Day in Susanville History – May 22, 1951

An aerial view of Memorial Park under construction in 1951 – from an Eastman Studios postcard

Selections Made For Susanville’s ‘Little League’
May 22, 1951

Four teams were picked Monday night for Little League baseball, averaging 18 players for each team. Teams were chosen from the more than 200 boys between the ages of 8 and 12 years.

Remainder of the boys not making the four teams were chosen for farm teams, giving all the boys a chance to play baseball.

Managers bought the players with points, each manager being allowed 36,000 points with which to buy 18 players, starting at 50 points for younger players and averaging up to 1,000 for older boys. Each manager paid 10,000 points for two pitchers.

Little League baseball will officially open Monday evening, June 4, on the Little League field near the Lassen Lumber & Box Co.

LMUD Presents: This Day in Susanville History – May 21, 1951

Susanville’s first Little League players in 1951. Thanks to Kim Erb for the cool photo!

Little Leaguers Open Drills at Susanville Park
May 21, 1951

Approximately 160 prospective Little League baseball players turned out for the organization meeting and brief practice Saturday afternoon at Memorial Ballpark.

The diamond has been donated by the Lassen Lumber and Box Co. and is now ready for play. The company erected a backstop and is moving big timbers behind it for seats.

In addition, the A.F. of L has offered the use of a room in its hall, half a block from the field, for storing equipment and to serve as a dressing room for the boys.

Each of the four sponsors has donated $200 to equip and furnish suits for the four teams in the league, and each sponsor has chosen a name for its team.

The Tigers will be sponsored by the A. F. and L. with Shine Morales acting as manager.

The Cubs will be sponsored by the Lions Club, with Alfred McFeeley as managers. The Giants will play for the Rotary Club, with Frank Maurino managing. The Yankees, sponsored by B.P.E Elks No 1487 will be managed by J. A. Pliler.

LMUD Presents: This Day in Susanville History – May 20, 1949

The Mt. Lassen Hotel burns, from an Eastman Studios photograph

New Susanville Hotel Inspected
May 20, 1949

About 2,000 visitors crowded through the rebuilt Hotel Mt. Lassen on its grand opening day last Saturday.

Construction of the rebuilt hotel is of concrete with concrete block walls for the first two floors, completely fireproof. Thirty-four hotel rooms have been completed, and eight more are to be finished next month.

A corporation of local men bought the hotel from Mrs. Frank Coffin and Mr. and Mrs. Fred Abbay last year when it was about a third rebuilt. The new owners are Albert Brantley, Kenneth R. Doyle, Joseph Diggle, Donald P. Cady, R. L. Attaway and Evan Chappius.

Hotel Mt. Lassen burned July 24, 1947, for an estimated loss of three-quarters of a million dollars. The fire of undetermined origin started about 9 a.m. in the basement.

LMUD Presents: This Day in Susanville History – May 17, 1938

Diamond Mountain Custom Mill, 1940
From the Eastman Archives at UC Davis

Holmes Plans Wide Program
Work is Pushed on at Diamond Mountain
May 17, 1938

Extensive development of the Art Greig property, five miles south of Susanville on Diamond Mountain, is being mapped by John Holmes and associates following preliminary work on the claim.

The claim is located across the road from the old Lone Pine property which established a mint record in the Susanville district 40 years ago, and good pannings are being obtained, according to the Lassen Advocate.

Construction of a 40-ton mill is contemplated. A definite footwall of granite has been reached at a depth of 15 feet, and the vein is from four to six feet wide. The ore shoot has been stripped for a distance of 200 feet in both directions from the shaft.

The property, according to Holmes, is on a direct line from the old Arkansas property on Gold Run Creek. The vein has a mother lode trend, northeast and southwest, about 30 degrees east.

Holmes and his associates have taken a lease and option on 225 acres of the Greig holdings. A spring believed large enough to furnish ample water for development of the property is located about a quarter of a mile above the workings.

LMUD Presents: This Day in Susanville History – May 16, 1937

Susanville’s Veterans Memorial Hall on Main Street, late 1930’s

Lassen Veterans Will Aid in Scout Camp Construction
May 16, 1937

Thomas Tucker Post No. 204 American Legion will send a work party to join with legionnaires from Reno and Westwood to Silver Lake on June 5 and 6. The volunteer workers will spend the two days putting the camp site in shape for the Boy Scouts.

The party from the local post will consist of Carl Metcalfe, Carl Fisher, Gene Shoupe, Bill Banigan, C. W. Corson, George Winchester, Homer Vincent, Marc Edmonds, Milo Massoty, Gene Alrich, Fred Hansen and Zhait Barraca.

Voting unanimously to contribute $100 to the swimming pool project the local Legion post met Wednesday.

At the same time plans were laid for Memorial Day exercises. Services will be held at the grave of Thomas Tucker with the local post joining the Veterans of Foreign Wars in the exercises.

>Email us News
115 S. Roop Susanville, CA
530.257.7138