SUSANVILLE INDIAN RANCHERIA – Natural Resources Department
POSITION: Forestry Crew Supervisor/Wild Land Fire Fighter
DATE OF ANNOUNCEMENT: March 20, 2017
CLOSING DATE: March 31, 2017
HOURS: Full Time- Seasonal
SALARY: $16.55 to $18.27/hr DOE
GENERAL STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITY:
The Forestry Crew Supervisor/Wild Land Fire Fighter will perform and supervise a four to five person crew in performing a variety of Forestry project field work. Specific project work will include activity such as thinning and piling of small diameter conifers and a variety of native species trees, plants, shrubs, grasses, etc., Work will require the use of chainsaw, pole saw, weed eater, drip torch, log splitter, log chipper and related equipment. Work will require transporting using a SIR vehicle, frequent bending, lifting, hiking, and walking over a rough and uneven terrain. Location of projects may expose technicians to adverse weather conditions that may make working conditions difficult; process all office correspondence for the crew such as timesheets, supply requisitions, purchasing, inventory, etc.
Forestry Crew Supervisor/Wild Land Fire Fighter will be required to respond, under the supervision of the Environmental Coordinator, to Wild Land Fire requests as part of an interagency agreement. Requests can be made to serve as a single resource personnel as well as to join 10-20 person hand crews. Assignments may require up to a 14 day absence from their home base.
1. Supervise a four to five person Forestry crew.
2. Attend trainings, meetings, and conferences as needed.
3. Receive and implement instructions in order to achieve successful results with projects.
4. Perform clerical duties as requested; preparing correspondence, forms, reports, filing and some accounting for grant compliance.
5. Responsible for scheduling vehicle maintenance, i.e.; schedule oil changes, tune-ups, etc.,
6. Participate in all projects including: removal of diseased trees; small diameter trees; tree pruning; and piling, and chipping; may assist with prescribed fire burning.
7. Barbed wire fence construction and maintenance
8. Transport crew safely to and from projects.
9. Must be willing to commit to the duration of the Forestry Crew program.
10. Must be willing to respond and commit to Wild Land Fire assignments.
11. Encourage and develop teamwork among the Forestry Crew.
12. Resolve workplace disputes in a timely and fair manner.
13. Demonstrate and ensure correct and safe usage of tools & equipment.
14. Identify safety hazards.
15. Work requires frequent lifting and carrying (up to 50 pounds), bending, hiking and walking over rough and uneven terrain.
16. Contribute to the team effort by participating in the Susanville Indian Rancheria’s facility wide program improvements, goals, and standards.
17. Other duties as assigned.
1. High School Diploma/equivalent.
2. Must have current Wild Land Fire Fighter II Red Card Certification and have passed the annual Pack Test at the arduous level.
3. Must have basic First Aid and First Responder Certification.
4. Must show proof of enrollment and/or completion of Wild Land Fire Fighter courses or related courses within the past four years.
5. Must pass pre-employment medical exam and drug screen.
6. Must have a current drivers license with no more than 5 MVR points and insurable as determined by the Susanville Indian Rancheria insurance provider.
7. Must be at least 21 years of age for insurance purposes.
8. Must have experience following Natural Resource Management protocol.
9. Must have experience working with navigational tools such as map reading, compass, GPS, etc.
10. Must have experience supervising work crews.
11. Must have field experience in fire suppression.
12. Must have experience operating a chainsaw, pole saw, weed eater, drip torch, log chipper, ATV, and related equipment.
13. Must be able to lift and carry 50 lbs
*** Preference will be given to Native Americans (42 CFR 36.221)
Applications can be picked up and dropped off at the Susanville Indian Rancheria Human Resources Department/ Tribal Office located at 745 Joaquin Street Susanville, Ca. 96130.